Sub-National Implementation of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI)
This report provides insight into the possible expansion of EITI to the sub-national level, for consideration by the EITI International Advisory Group. The paper includes:
- a summary of the countries and regions where this issue is most important
- a description of the mechanisms through which revenues currently reach sub-national levels of government in different countries
- a brief summary of the issues that arise for sound revenue management and revenue transparency when significant resource revenues flow to sub-national levels of government
- a brief description of some of the measures that can improve sub-national revenue management and transparency
- a summary of the issues that arise in sub-national implementation of EITI
- suggestions for how sub-national implementation of EITI could best be managed, including outlines of four models of sub-national EITI implementation.